Monday, December 10, 2007

A death

Uncle Joe . . .

Big, tough Uncle Joe. Always dear to me because he reminded me of my old Uncle Bob. Two huge, heavy built, heavily accented men, with big voices and big opinions, seemingly gruff behind bushy scowls, but truly, big mushy teddy bears. As a new member of the family, years ago, Uncle Joe made me feel so welcome. He was a BIG BEAR hugger. Something I happen to hold in high regards. And I could always count on a strong squeeze no matter how pregnant I was. He prided himself on his delicious white cakes, and had every right to. Put great stock in tiny detail. Maybe it was the baker in him, or perhaps the carpenter. He was both. Loved what he loved. Despised what he despised. Made it very clear which way his thoughts went, either way. A say-what-you-feel guy. I found him to be a comfy guy to be around. It's sad to lose someone who hugs like that. The world needs more of those.

I will miss him.