Saturday, October 27, 2007

Playing with the big girls

I have just recently entered into the crafting world in a whole new way, but I am no longer sure it's a world I am cut out for. Etsy is a crafting network that allows artists to set up a virtual shop and then sell their products online. Some people are successful enough to make a living out of it. But others, like myself, will never really have what it takes. I know that now.

I have spent the last few weeks trying to get a foothold in this new world. In order to make any sales at all you have to create and add items every few days or you won't get noticed. You have to chat in forums and shmooze your way into getting a sale off your fellow etsians. You have to align yourself with a TEAM, or two, or four, so that you can be part of a co-promoting club. You must try and collect a following any way you can, including advertizing in as many online venues as possible or you will fail.

Oh! I feel like a fish who has jumped out of a very small pond into the ocean itself. Lots of bigger, more colourful, fish to compete with. You should see some of the stuff these women are pumping out: pottery and glassware and jewellery. . .

My experience with this fast-paced online market has left me very eager to make face-to-face relationships with local businesses. Moving at a slower speed and establishing stronger contacts sounds more feasible, (and is less likely to cause me to suffer a nervous breakdown.) I will have to brace myself for disappointments and disinterest, but I have to give it a try.

Beginnings are often so humbling. But they are steeped in lessons and learning. I will have to remind myself of these things in the days to come or I will throw in the towel far too early.