Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Falling into it

Last night I attended a "conference" hosted by a muslim students association at Ottawa University. Three speakers were asked to attend and offer an answer to the question: What is the Purpose of Life?

A rabbi. An imam. A pastor. Three leaders of three faiths.

On this night, the Bible study I am a part of had decided to leave the comfort of our usual livingroom hideout and head out in the rain to this humble university auditorium. Firstly, because our pastor was asked to be one of the three speakers. Secondly, because this event was directly tied to what our study has been seeking to understand; What is our role in the community in which we live? How can we honour God with our lives as we interact with the diversity of culture and religious belief around us right now?

From the very first moment I sat in the fold-down seat, I felt it was the right place to be. The auditorium only filled to about 10%, but held a diverse assortment of characters. We were all looking around at one another, eyes meeting eyes, acknowledging a common interest in simply being there. The moderator began with opening remarks that ran 10 minutes long but essentially encouraged us to all accept that we are all the same, and to recognize that the fundamentals of all three faiths were similar and founded upon the very same god. It was a plea, really. Please get along, she was saying. This did not surprise me. I had expected as much.

What I did not expect was that I would fall inlove again.

First, the rabbi stepped up to the podium. "What is the purpose of life? Well. . . for that I must turn to the sacred texts. . ." But he never got that far. In a confused attempt to answer, while not answering at all, he began to recite names of those who have gone before us asking "the hard questions." Solomon, Abraham, Job. . . Which wasn't saying anything at all. The rabbi seemed very intent upon extolling the works of Man. Lifting up our ingenuity and our advancements in the world. He referred to our "partnership" with God himself in creating the world we now live in. And when he sat back down I felt like we had just heard a love song to Humanity. Our purpose? "To revel in ourselves," he seemed to be saying.

The Imam was not confused at all. There was a rigid focus to his words. And it was very clear to us all that the purpose of the muslim life was simply this: Follow all of Mohammad's rules and God will bestow upon you His pleasure. So many rules! Such a severe edict. And no help at all for the pour soul who must find His way to God all alone along this path of rules.

But then came Life. That was all our pastor put on the table. Our purpose in this life? To Live. The life that begins the moment we meet "Yeshua," the one who flows like living waters through our souls. Apart from him there is no life at all. He spoke so simply. It was the same message over and over in clear, beautiful words. And all I heard was hope and love and Truth. I felt such a love for my pastor, who always seems to have the right words to speak out into the dark. And I fell inlove again with this Saviour who gave me this Life, of which my pastor was speaking. He gave it to me in my earliest days before I even knew what it was like to be without Him.

It was a good night. These men agreed to come and speak about their God. They came, and that is a good thing. And we, the small gathering of people, all sat together to listen to their words. That is a good thing also. May there be people meeting all over this world to speak about why we are here on this earth. But whose hearts were stirred? Who felt more tied to their own God? Who left questioning themselves and more confused than ever? I don't know. But I hope there were others there, who like me, heard Life and Love, and fell right into it.