Friday, October 19, 2007

Exterior Style: The Evolution

1. Stone... Here's where we started. But very quickly moved on. As beautiful as these homes are, the art of stone masonry has become so specialized that the price tag can't even be glimpsed my most of us. Building a new home, or buying an old one, made from this material was completely out of the question. One road away from us, five or six of these gorgeous homes stand all in a row looking beautiful and ancient and out of reach.2. Log. Aidan and I are winter-lovers. Cozy and rustic is good. But once again, $$$. The stack of logs alone would have cost as much as our current home. This is also a material that would require specialized contractors for the "stacking" process. Besides, I can't help but think these homes ought to be by the water or in the mountains. Not in the middle of farm fields.


3. Our final choice: English Tudor. I have always loved the cottage-like appeal of this style. Germany is filled with tudor buildings, but they are to be found here aswell. I liked the idea of designing the pattern of the wood slats to suit us. And the style would have complemented our dormer-windowed house.

I say "would have" because this has become yet another exterior that is no longer an option. We have. . . run out of money. And time. The wisest thing to do was cancel all our plans for a pretty exterior and go with the cheapest, fastest possibility. Yes, vinyl siding. This is one of those materials I have a very firm stance on. I really dislike it. (Putting it mildly.) I am always on the hunt for character, and I find this, frankly, has none.

Aidan assures me it is temporary, but I know we will find other things to do with our time and money. A white vinyl house it is.