Thursday, September 20, 2007

Warming a house


There is so much truth to the warmth that thoughtful little gifts can bring to a home. When I got home last evening my husband and brother-in-law were being adorably jittery, strongly and persistently encouraging me to follow them over to the big house to see the "progress on the railing." I followed them over and had a look at their handiwork. They certainly had done some good work but I was clearly missing something important. They were both standing quietly, eyes shifting from me to a place in the corner of the room, waiting for me to catch on. Finally Aidan pointed me in the right direction, "Look!"

Up in the far corner of the livingroom, hung from one of our posts, was a beautiful little clock. I squeeled with delight. Partly out of the basic pleasure of surprise, but also because the clock could not have looked more at home. It just fit. It is Colin's housewarming gift to us, and he couldn't have chosen a more fitting one. It reminds Aidan and I of our honeymoon in England. Our time spent curled up in cozy wooden pubs.

But perhaps the greatest thing this little clock has offered is an added hominess to the entire space. This one little gesture of thoughtfulness and generosity from my brother has brought me and my house a little bit closer to one another.