Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Nature finds

*Pheasants? We are still not positive that they we have identified them correctly, but it would be yummy if we have. They have been spotted having a family reunion at the edge of our yard. And I have been told we can eat them. . . (The legalities of this are a little fuzzy, still. . .)They had better park themselves elsewhere if they know what's good for them. We have a hunter in the family now, and a penchance for eating meat.
*Crickets. Didn't know they were so big. Or so loud. They have invaded the garage, hence, our life here in the loft. Chirping at all hours of the day and night. It has become a household rule that all persons, upon entering the domain must scan the floor, and immediately pounce on any cricket they see. Tricky, because they can really pounce well themselves. Gross, because they crunch really loudly when contact is made. Admittedly, I have yet to do the deed myself. But will likely never have to as my offspring have zealously taken to the task.
*Wild turkeys. BIG! Apperently they aren't nice, so I hope, unlike the pheasants, they do not take to having family gatherings on our property or they too may need to take up space in our freezer.
*Funny sounding birds. Gabriel got a kick out a one this evening that did a good monkey impression. I must admit I was equally thrilled by the bird and began doing monkey impressions that sent my kids into fits of giggles. I'm not sure the men from the heating company found me half as amusing.