Wednesday, September 12, 2007

An Ode to Sixty Three B Havelock Street



I have loved this home. It was FULL of frustrating old-home tendencies, like doors that wouldn't shut, and stained and slanted floors, leaky windows that took real muscle power to open. . . I had to climb 16 stairs to get the groceries into the fridge, and demon squirrels haunted our rooftops all day long trying to infiltrate. But the place was good to us. We never felt cramped for space, despite the growth of our family. We were happy to share the warmth and colour of our home with others, pushing the limit around the kitchen table. And we were able to access all that downtown Ottawa has to offer: festivals, bike paths, coffee shops. . .

Now that we have been out of the house for awhile I can objectively assess my feelings towards the old place. I can say that the memories are overwhelmingly good, and I will always count us blessed to have been given those few precious years there.