Friday, January 21, 2011

::James::

Scripture: What is the last Scripture verse you heard or read? What was God saying to you?

James. I have begun to memorize the book from beginning to end. . .

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes scattered among the nations. Greetings. Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you suffer trials of many kinds. Because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work, so the you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you is lacking wisdom, then he should ask to God who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. . .

The memorization of scripture has eluded me again and again. Either, I have set out to commit some verses to mind, and been blown off course. Or, a mental/spiritual block had halted me in my path before the desire even set in. I have heard countless admonishments memorize, and have read about "storing God's words in my heart." But I have never truly laboured over the task. I read my Bible. I study like the very best of students. Yet, I have never taken the time to lock much of the precious life-giving material into my brain.

The time is now.

James speaks to me. It always has. It calls me to an active faith, not one of passive religiosity. It reminds me to watch my tongue, and warns me of dark consequences if I don't. And, regarding that which is most absent in me, James tells me to be patient. Like a farmer who must wait for his crops to grow-- patience.

My method is tailored to my learning style. I am visual. And so I copy and copy and copy. I type out the verses until they are seamless, flowing from my brain, through my fingers and onto the screen. And I do this in gold. I will always choose to imprint beauty in my mind before ho-hum. Besides, these words are golden.

Someone once wrote that a habit is something you wear. I want to wear scripture. I want to breathe it in until it alights on my skin with permanence.