Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ribs, fireworks and other good things

A stunningly beautiful day. It all started with ribs. I posted the best rib recipe in the world on another site, and made a tongue-and-cheek offer of Aidan's services as a barbequer to anyone who wanted to provide the meat. Well, Niki took me up and that, and we found ourselves travelling out to the country this past weekend to cook up some ribs. We have always felt so at home at the Mains' house, and yesterday was no exception. Because I haven't the words to describe the day well enough in all it's colours and textures, I will share it with you in pictures:Food. Heaping piles of jumbo shrimp. Guacamole and brie. The ribs. . . ten pounds of them, rubbed in a spicy mixture, coated in a thick, tangy homemade barbeque sauce and smoked in fresh applewood chips. Amazing. Not one of us managed to look graceful while eating. It is simply not possible. Ice cream cake and a Belgian Chocolate Torte for dessert. Oh so good.Play. The kids were on the go non-stop. Maybe that is what I love most about being in that place. There is always an attentive person on hand, not just willing to play with the kids, but eager to. It is just another place that I feel my family is loved as a whole. First there was crockett. A bit of dog wrestling with Jack. Bocce ball. Caelah became a farm girl, trailing after Rob to the pens, and making herself familiar with all the animals. She fed Violet a bottle. Held a chick. Gathered eleven eggs and fed the pigs their slop. That's my girl. We all took turns on the ATV. The kids hated the noise, but Cory and John patiently won them over until they were rumbling across the field on the big red machine, and loving it.Fireworks. Around 9:00 sparklers were passed around. I don't remember the last time I got to play with a sparkler. The smell hit me powerfully. Memories flooded back from old neighbourhood festivities. When the fireworks were lit it became a giggle session as some of them hissed, sputterd and died. But, being a city girl, I was thrilled with the experience of doing this all at home. A hands-on fireworks display. Very cool. We drove home with good food in our bellies, fresh air in our lungs, and sparkles in our eyes.