Thursday, June 08, 2006

Gnome Emancipation

I scored a box full of gardening magazines at a garage sale last weekend. My original intent was to rip them to pieces for arts & crafts purposes. I was not expecting them to be a source of interest, let alone humour! And yet, I stumbled, (how could I not, when a red-capped gnome leered out from the pages at me), upon the following article: Small People, Big Trouble. It read; "Garden gnomes . . . In France these small ceramic figurines are being stolen only to reappear in unexpected places: teetering on cliffs, stranded on motorways, even huddled aboard rafts on lakes. They are victims of an ongoing cultural war started by Le Front de Liberation des Mains Jardin (FLNJ)." The leader of the FLNJ argues that they are fighting against bad taste, "as embodied by the garden gnome of the proletariat household." Sooooo funny!
This called to mind another scourge of tackiness found closer to home . . . yes, the oft-mentioned cowboy cutouts. Judge for yourself:Horrible. Really.
So I have been thinking. Shall we launch a new Movement? CCGWM: Cowboy Cutouts Go West Movement. We'll don balaclavas, and raid the gardens of Kinburn. We will steal away the offending cowpeople. Pack em' up, and ship them out to a cactus-strewn State in the american Mid-West. I mean, what are we playing at? Who ever heard of an Ottawa cowboy anyway? Let us set them free. Who's with me?