Monday, July 09, 2012

::The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"


ransportive. Is that a word? I want to go to Guernsey. I want to see these non-existent people face-to-face. I haven't been entirely here this week because I have been half-there.

I knew I was completely engrossed when I couldn't leave the audio cd's in the van, but brought them in to play while I cooked and cleaned. Sadly, that meant that I finished in a few short days. I feel the ache of ending.

In a Nutshell:
Winding up her book tour promoting her collection of lighthearted wartime newspaper columns, Juliet Ashton casts about for a more serious project. Opportunity comes in the form of a letter she receives from Mr. Dawsey Adams, who happens to possess a book that Julia once owned. Adams is a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—no ordinary book club. Rather, it was formed as a ruse and became a way for people to get together without raising the suspicions of Guernsey’s Nazi occupiers. Written in the form of letters (a lost art), this novel by an aunt-and-niece team has loads of charm, especially as long as Juliet is still in London corresponding with the society members.~ Booklist
Quotable Bits:
"Isola doesn't approve of small talk and believes in breaking the ice by stomping on it.” 

“...but I much prefer whining to counting my blessings.”

"People don't know how chickens can turn on you, but they can -- just like mad dogs.”