Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ugh & Other things

This has been the least pleasant day of my pregnancy. I ache from head to toe. My head is throbbing. I feel nauseous. And I have had intermittent sharp pains in my stomach for the past 24 hours.
Yes, I went to the hospital, and the baby is fine. I am just worn out and, as it turns out, a little dehydrated. . .

Yesterday was my first Craft Fair experience. My wonderful sister accompanied me and my bucket soft branches to Almonte and sat with me from 9:00- 4:00. As the day progressed, a few things became very clear to us:
1. The average age of the buyers was 70.
2. The average craft table was selling knitted goods and country kitch.
3. The 70 year-olds were clearly interested in those tables. Not ours.

So it was that Kate and I got very little business. Across the way, another younger, trendier table was suffering as well. And the young girl next to us only sold $12 worth of her photography. The few people that bought from me were young and LOVED my things with a healing enthusiasm. I made a grand total of $42, most of which was later spent of Chinese takeout.

It all sounds like a recipe for discouragement, but we had fun!
Our little corner of vendors, dejected as we were, became bonded to one another through common neglect. Kate and I made some friends, some of whom live close by in the countryside. And we learned a lot about sales and consumer psychology. At least we'd like to think we have.
We won't be returning to this venue next year, but thanks to new friendships, I now have some leads regarding some more suitable venues for my things.

About my current ailments. Kate and I were so busy not selling things yesterday that we forgot to feed ourselves. I ingested three cups of coffee and a banana all day long. Once I added Chinese to that list I was clearly asking for a world of pain. And that's what I got. I have been drinking water steadily ever since and still not recovered.

Lessons:
1. The Almonte Civitan Craft Fair isn't my scene
2. Fun can be had even in failure
3. There's NO accounting for taste
4. Drink Water!