Monday, June 11, 2007

Nest Graveyard

I have got to toughen up. When we arrived at the lot this Saturday Aidan, without batting an eye, grabbed a long stick and began systematically smacking nest after nest from our unfinished porch trusses. I watched with my mouth open, flinching as little blue eggs went splat all over the ground. Oh! "What?" Aidan refused to feel guilty. "We can't let them think they can live in our roof." It was a little unnerving to see how easily he could smash tiny robin's eggs. But I was soon called on my hypocrisy; "Do you eat eggs?" Um, on occasion. . .

Note: My tough husband did have a moment of discomfort last week when the occupant of the nest he was in the middle of destroying perched very nearby and watched him, with it's head cocked . . . Would it call for it's other little robin buddies and dive bomb him in revenge? "It was just watching me," Aidan told me, looking around to see that he didn't have an audience this time.