Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Dog Shopping

I must admit that this will not be the first Van Dyk puppy aquisition. In a fit of youthful impatience, and complete ignorance, I begged Aidan to buy a Lab puppy half a year before we were married. Because Aidan lived right next door, (you know the story), I thought we could share the duties . . . Nope. Poor pup didn't stand a chance. Keena was a ball of energy that we just couldn't keep up with. Aidan worked. I was still in school. And the result was a very hyper, untrained, undisciplined dog. We ended up relinquishing her to our Aunt and Uncle who took her to live in the country. I don't think she missed us at all.

After what I've just told you, you may be questioning our abilities to be fit dog owners. I promise that three kidslater, I know a bit more about responsibilty and discipline. And I seem to have a bottomless reserve of love to pour out upon anything that comes my way. So we are going to give it another go. In a few months we will have space and time. Now, we just have to decide on a dog.

My adore Newfoundlands, (above). They are ENORMOUS. And yet they are big babies who crave attention and affection. I have memories of going to visit a friend who owned one of these big beasts. I would ring the door bell and a paw the size of my head would appear against the glass. Her name was Whinny, and she was bought to be a companion to my friend's little brother. He had mental disabilities, and treated Whinny like a wrestling buddy. And despite the rough display of affections she recieved, Whinny seemed to adore her little companion all the more for it. Here's the thing. Can I take care of another BIG baby when I already have three children to take care of? Apparently these dogs are so needy that you have to commit to carting them around everywhere you go. Oh, and they SHED. Anyone who has been in my home knows how fastidious I am. Particularily about my floors. During shedding season, which happens twice a year, a Newfie owner can expect to fill a garbage bag a day with hair! It would be an extreme act of selflessness on my part to bring one of these dogs into my home. I don't think I have progressed enough along the path of Grace yet to be that selfless. Will I ever?

Saint Bernards are an equally daunting prospect. Just as loving, but just as messy. One website warned; "These dogs are big droolers. If clean walls and windows are important to an owner, don't get one. With one good head-shake, a Saint Bernard can fling their drool up to 20 feet away." And these are Aidan's first choice. I really need to start praying NOW for my housekeeping obsessions to completely evaporate. I do have suspicions, however, about the motives behind my husbands affections for these dogs. I think he has visions of hard work days being relieved by the arrival of the family pet with a flask of Brandy around it's neck.

Akbash. I had never heard of these dogs until I started this research. They are a type of sheepdog, which means they are very protective of the family. And have the instinctive, but amusing tendency to herd the family children. But it also means they are independent and need serious training. If you don't teach them to submit, they will try and dominate. It turns out my Aunt has a friend with an Akbash named Katie. She's a farm dog with an amazing temperment. She is actually expecting puppies any day. So, we'll chat with these people and see what owning one involves.


The Burmese and Great Pyrenese are both Mountain dogs. They are both big and beautiful. But they like to roam, and they like to bark at night. Our neighbours might not appreciate this. We would need to train they really well to be obedient and submissive. These dogs are so big and so independently minded that they have to be taught that even the baby of the family is boss, or they'll be aggressively dominant. Frankly, I just don't know if we're equal to the task. They are so big, and not naturally great with children. There's a lot on the line if we don't get it right.

And finally, Golden Retrievers. In the end, I am willing to bet we will end up settling on one of these for our first pup. They are a perfect fit for a family with young kids. Part of me wanted to avoid Lab and Golden Retrievers simply because everyone has one. But everyone has one for a reason . . .

Anyways, I want feedback. If any of you know anything about any of these breeds, please enlighten us. Our knowledge is very limited. We rushed into this once, but won't do it again. By late Fall, we will hopefully be a dog family. And hopefully, come spring, I will still be sane.